Blog

Social Media For Small Businesses

A successful business is one that fosters a relationship with its customers and gets people talking. What better place for that to happen than social media? Platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn allow you to engage with people, share content and get some dialogue going.

However, for many small business owners, social media can be a struggle. They know it is something that they should be doing, but don’t quite know how. Here, we are going to take a look at some tried and tested social media tips to help you boost your business.

social media smartphone

Choose your social media platforms carefully

This is the first hurdle that many small businesses face. There are so many social media platforms out there – how do you know which is the best one to use? Do you go for all of them, or target one or two?

There are so many social media platforms out there – how do you know which is the best one to use? Click To Tweet

Experience shows that focusing on one or two and doing an outstanding job on those rather than spreading yourself thin across all of them is the way forward. Social media can be a whole job in itself – to be active and engaged on every single one can be overwhelming. But which ones do you focus on?

Well, this depends very much on your target demographic and which platform they are active on. You are unlikely, for example, to find your average lawyer in their 50’s on Snapchat, but they may be on LinkedIn every day. Similarly, if you are trying to promote a new range of teenage girl clothes, you would probably want to focus on Instagram.

You can find up to date information on social media demographics by clicking here.

Create relevant content for your audience

Every single thing that you share with your audience on your business pages has to be relevant. If you are a childcare business, for example, sharing something about the best alcohol might not really be what your audience wants to read. However, this need for relevance can hold some businesses back – they don’t think they have anything relevant to share.

Rubbish.

Hopefully, your business website has a blog, written by a superb content writer (i.e. me!), and this is ideal for sharing on social media. You can also share relevant memes, business news, testimonials, behind the scenes pictures and quotes. Get creative – but stay relevant.

Post on your social media regularly

You have to be regular and consistent when posting on your business social media. Algorithms, while being a bit of a mystery to most of us, generally favour people who post regularly. Facebook, for example, tends to show posts to those who engage with you more. If you aren’t posting very often, or go ages without posting and then post lots in one go, your audience is not going to engage – and then they won’t see things.

You can find more information and statistics on how often to post on the various social media platforms by clicking here.

You have to be regular and consistent when posting on your business social media. Algorithms favour those who post regularly. Click To Tweet

Use hashtags

Hashtags are critical on some platforms – but not at all on others. It is important to know which networks like you to use them and how to use them effectively.

They are primarily used on Instagram and Twitter and makes your content more discoverable. By using them, you can make whatever you share visible to a much wider audience – and an audience who are actively searching for that topic. This level of connection and engagement is essential for social media.

You can find some more information about social media hashtags by clicking here.

Don’t just promote yourself

One thing that many businesses make the mistake of doing is using their social media platforms purely for self promotion. Don’t.

Many experts recommend the 80:20 rule for content. 80% of your content should be external – images, industry news, links to relevant information and so on. The remaining 20% should be self-promotional material.

Check your analytics

There is no point in spending hours creating content for your social media profiles if you have no idea whether it is working or not. All platforms now allow you to see insights if you have a business account, so you can see how many people the post reached, how many clicked through and so on. Tie this in with the analytics you can see on your website and you will have an idea as to whether you are heading in the right direction.

If you need someone who has experience in creating and curating quality social media content for your business, get in touch with me today at hello@coastal-content.co.uk.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *